Tokens for communities
Short, concise description of the idea
If the maintainer of a community want to give the community a paid account or rename it, he/she has to pay the whole fee alone. The idea would be to give the option to all members to participate a little.
Full description of the idea
LJ users have the option of offering virtual gifts to individuals or communities. I think it would be great to also have the option of offering to communities a token for a one year paid account or for a renaming.
The token could be, I don't know, 0.99$ just as virtual gifts so that it's not a big cost for members and when the community has the necessary amount of tokens, the maintainer can exchange them for a paid account or for a new name.
I know that there are already gift certificates but the minimum amount for those is 5$ so I think cheap tokens would be a lot easier to handle for community members.
- - the charges would be shared between users of the community and not supported by the one person alone
- - would make members more involved in a community they like and give them the feeling to really belong
- - would incite more communities to get a paid account (by the way, paid communities really need new useful features)
- - would ease the decision to rename a community (maintainer can be reluctant because of the cost)
- - don't see any, it's not that different from virtual gifts