link-to-me module on profile
Short, concise description of the idea
On a user's profile, show copyable code to link to them both on and off of LJ.
Full description of the idea
This was originally inspired by screaming frustration with OpenID users and YouTube, believe it or not. There I was minding my own business and fuming about how it was perishing hard to describe to someone how to locate the ext_#### OpenID "username" to link to someone's OpenID account, and I blew it off and went to look at YouTube, and found myself copying the embed code. "Why not just have the code right there to copy?" I asked myself.
It was then implemented on Dreamwidth, and has been fantastically useful, so I see no overwhelming reason why it shouldn't be adopted for LJ as well.
- Easy for all users; some users may memorize the code themselves!
- Less wear and tear on Support
- May only require a bit of tinkering to implement
- Not likely to disrupt social fabric of LJ
- Pasting it into the RTE
- One more thing on the profile, and it isn't very pretty
- Taking dev time away from important stuff