Restrict which journals appear in the latest posts feed
Short, concise description of the idea
Prevent posts from newly-made free accounts from appearing in the latest posts feed.
Full description of the idea
There's lately been a lot of people talking about the spam in the latest posts feed; getting curious, I just visited and found practically all the posts there were explicit porn.
As I understand it (feel free to correct me if I'm wrong), the spammers who post advertising and porn in excessive quantities do so by constantly making lots of new unpaid accounts. Stopping them posting would be incredibly difficult; but can't we at least stop the posts appearing in the latest posts feed?
Could it be arranged so that no posts from newly-created free accounts would appear in the feed? Probably restricted to journals only; posts in new communities could still appear. I'm not sure how long they should be excluded for, that would have to be debated.
I can't really see many legitimate new users complaining - how many people really care if their posts appear in the LJ-wide latest posts feed? Some people may even prefer them not to, especially new users who haven't yet figured out friends-locking etc.
I know that the spammers would find a way around it, they always do, but at least it would help.
- It would greatly reduce the amount of spam appearing in the latest posts feed.
- Hopefully it would also help the feed be a little more viewable at work and by children!
- Since I'm not a techie, I have no idea how feasible this is (though it sounds to me like it should be possible).
- Some people might object to having their posts excluded from the feed.
- Spammers would find a way to get around it eventually - perhaps wait for the required time period, or start creating communities to spam in instead.