Turning off autosave, again
Short, concise description of the idea
Add a preference for the user to turn off the autosave option when writing a post or comment.
Full description of the idea
A simple checkbox somewhere in the user preferences would allow users to turn off autosave when writing a post ot comment. This would remain on by by default but could be turned off at any time.
- See the previous discussion in http://community.livejournal.com/suggestions/597472.html for some of the problems autosave causes. To summarize:
- Confirmation pop-ups are annoying, and this is one way to minimize their occurrence.
- Data privacy: like many users, I've started to write posts and comments on LJ that I later thought better of. Having random keyboard musings saved without my consent is not a comforting thought!
- Some browsers do not deal well with autosaving. Two examples are the "jumping" in Opera and the inability to undo changes at least in Safari. I'm not much of an Opera user so I don't know if the first is still a problem, but I've observed the second in Safari many times. Undo is a valuable feature when typing anything and it is very annoying to have it taken away.
- There are still a fair number of people on low-bandwidth connections. Having the ability to minimize the client/server communication is always a good idea.
- Last but certainly not least, it's annoying to have your hand held when you don't want it. Many people are simply annoyed by the "feature" as we are annoyed by having our computers do anything we don't tell them to do. People who do want it would still have it, of course.
- One more preference to set in an already long list, I suppose.