Disallow Journal Inheritance
Short, concise description of the idea
Prevent people from inheriting ownership of a journal when they receive a recycled email address previously used to open a journal.
Full description of the idea
In working in Support I've noticed that a lot of people make "unsubscribe me" requests, not knowing their email account was recycled from a previous LiveJournal user. They are instructed that they are the journal owner as the owner of the email address.
Instead of encouraging these non-LiveJournal users from deleting another person's journal, I'd like to see a way of dissociating the email address from the journal. That way if the user is still around and still has the password or secret question, they can recover their account.
- Users won't write to support asking who deleted their account.
- Abandoned accounts that were useful to the general community won't be unnecessarily deleted.
- As a permanent account holder, I won't have to worry if I die that my account will be wiped out by the next person to inherit my current email account. (Yes, I know that an account can be marked "memorial", but that requires a tech savvy family member who knows to ask.)
- More unwanted or unaccessable accounts may be retained.
- Users asking for "unsubscribe me" might not take the time to explain that they have never been LiveJournal users in the first place.