Disallow URL Masking Links / Sites on LiveJournal
Short, concise description of the idea
Implement it so LiveJournal disallows URL masking sites such TinyURL.com
Full description of the idea
With the community hackings, malicious bots, and viruses floating around, it would be a good idea if LiveJournal would disallow URL masking sites.
This will make it so when members hover over a link (which might be a virus), they will see the actual link as opposed to a link like this (http://tinyurl.com/xxxxxxx) in which no one would know what it will take you to.
- Won't be taken to unknown sites / improved security
- Required transparency in links used on journals
- Members don't need tinyurl.com links anyway. Just use HTML (a href tag) to shorten a link.
- Not sure how this could be implemented
- May not be worth the time and effort
- There is already an option to preview links - the snapshots. (But even then, it is sometimes difficult to see the content.)