Short, concise description of the idea
We're all aware we can't embed twitter badges (that aren't butt-ugly) or Flickr badges, etc, into our profiles/sidebars/etc, due to stability concerns (at least that's what I assume is the reason). How about a 'white list'?
Full description of the idea
By starting a list of acceptable embeds that LJ has confirmed does -not- break the site, users can better consolidate/promote their presence elsewhere online. I know I'd love a flickr badge to my profile over there, rather than a simple link. Similarly I'm sure a LOT of people would prefer twitter users had a badge on their journal rather than loudtwitter spam clogging friend pages. It's not so much that I want to post my tweets to my journal as having my twitter feed accessible from my journal - be it a profile or sidebar item.
- Starting a list of approved embeds (there's probably a more appropriate term for what I'm talking about) will control what can be posted from the LJ side.
- A list will give users a place to browse and pick and choose things they can include in their journals they weren't necessarily aware of before.
- Social networking bonus points.
- Someone will have the odious task of approving/disapproving embed/applications.
- If word gets around that there is a 'white list' in the making, there may be an influx of suggestions.
- There could be some cross-layout issues, but I'm not entirely sure how that works.