Short, concise description of the idea
Install language translation to blogs and comments
Full description of the idea
Add machine translation of blog entries, comments, and friends pages. Users can do this now, by cutting and pasting into other software or websites.
- Enabling more people to read more blogs
- Making available some special-interest blogs (e.g. regional history and travel opportunities) and communities where membership is small, anyway.(e.g. specialized collectors)
- Would allow muli-lingual families scattered over the world to interact with each other.
- Locals could more easily help students in other countries to study their area.
- Enable people to share opinions and attitudes about current international events with people in other countries.
- Setting up machine translation of the entire page-- tags, interests moods, and all, would be a major project. Should stay with just the blog body and comments frames.
- Probably some adult content would sneak through accidentally, as standards vary between regions.
- I don't know the price of translation software; it may be costly.
- Probably not all language translators would have enough use to justify them. I'd suggest Russian(Because of the large Russian LJ membership), Spanish, and English. After that, maybe Arabic and either Japanese or Chinese.
- Some users won't want translation, so it needs to be optionable