Private messages should show IP address.
Short, concise description of the idea
The 'send this user a message' feature should also show the IP address, to discourage abuse by trolls.
Full description of the idea
The option to 'send this user a message' from a user's profile page is very handy; I've used it when I want to contact a friend privately.
However, today a friend has received harassing messages from someone with a new LJ; apparently, the 'send a message' does not give her an IP to recognize and/or track the sender.
I propose that this feature be added to the 'send this user a message' capability. A notification that 'your IP will be included with the message you send' may deter some small-minded trolls; honest users or friends of the recipient won't care.
- I expect that this feature would
- [a] help discourage this form of net-based harassment and
- [b] let the average LJ user feel a little safer from opportunistic trolls.
- 1) New code would need to be written to implement this feature.
- 2) The other would be personal -- some people might not like the idea of their IP address being sent to the recipient of the message. My feeling is, if they're too cowardly to allow the recipient a method of knowing who the message came from, they don't have the right to toss filth from the virtual shadows.