Allow maintainers of communities to customize "join community" section.
Short, concise description of the idea
Allow maintainers to customize what the section says when a user tries to join a community.
Full description of the idea
As it currently stands when a community is closed to new membership it says "This community is closed to new members. If you wish to join, please contact one of the following maintainers:" which most maintainers of closed communities do not want people contacting them constantly to join. I moderator the community ljsecret and for our community to work we can only allow users to friend the community. We could use the join community area to explain to users that they should friend the community instead of joining it. I moderate tinytrades which has membership that needs to be approved. We have a list of guidelines someone must follow in order to be approved as a member. It would be beneficial for us to be able to list all the guidelines before someone tries to join the community.
- Less confusion for users trying to join closed communities or communities with moderated membership.
- Great for any maintainer who has a community that has guidelines for membership to be approved.
- Great for maintainers who take a long time to approve members. They could add a note saying it may take as long as one week to approve membership to cut down on users contacting them about their membership.
- Great for maintainers of communities that only open for membership every once in a while. They can add a note about that when a user tries to join along with a date on when they will open membership.
- Great for maintainers of music sharing/movie sharing communities they can add a note on how long users have to delete anything they download.
- Great for maintainers of communities with a lot of rules. They can post all of their rules in the join community section.
- Great for maintainers of communities that only allow certain people to post. They can include information on what you can do to get posting access, or why they only want certain people to post.
- More control for maintainers to help members become a part of their community.
- Maintainers who like the default join community section can leave it and do not have to edit it.
- The only problem I see is for someone who has to code it.