Links that destroy unsaved posts/autosaving
Short, concise description of the idea
Links that caused unsaved editing of posts should open in a new window and/or posts should be autosaved or users should be prompted to save before navigating away from the editing page.
Full description of the idea
I was typing up a post and decided to click on the "Help" link at the top of the page. I assumed it would open in a new window as help links often do. It didn't and I lost my whole post. It really pissed me off.
- 1) Not pissing off users.
- 2) Conforming to general/expectable/"intuitive" web standards.
- 3) Not losing valuable posts.
- 1) It will take some work.
- 2) It might annoy users who intended to discard their posts.
- 3) It will change the website from what users are used to, disconcerting some of them.
- 4) It will make LiveJournal too popular, overwhelm its capacity, and shut down half of New York.