Bulk Editing Of Memories
Short, concise description of the idea
Allow memories to be edited in bulk rather than individually.
Full description of the idea
It is possible to do a bulk delete of entries in each memory category; my suggestion is that bulk editing is also allowed. This to be done in three ways:
(Please note I use the word 'move' throughout this because although edited entries do not actually 'move' they give the appearance of doing thus as they appear in a different category).
1. Allow a memory section to be renamed.
For example: 'LJ Tips' could be renamed to 'LJ Tips 2007' in one simple step, rather than having to go into the keyword category and laboriously change each entry to 'LJ Tips 2007'.
2. Allow bulk 'moving' (changing the keyword) of entries within a memory category/keyword to another memory category.
This could be done in a similar way to the bulk deleting, i.e. by adding an additional bit to the URL. (Ideally, of course, there would be some other way of handling it without having to type extra bits onto the URL, but that might be a step too far.)
For example (continuing from the above), I might have set up a memory category for' LJ Tips', and later down the line I decide there are too man,y and would like to be able to sort these by year, or indeed even type of tip. I'd like to be able to go into 'LJ Tips' and select various entries within that category and 'move' them on bulk to another memory category, i.e. type in the name of the keyword/category or select it from a list, as I do when editing a single entry. As it stands editing can only be done an entry at a time.
3. Allow bulk changes to memory description.
This could again be done by having a select several memories tool (as detailed in 2) but rather than just 'moving' them to another memory category it would be useful to be able to edit the descriptions, without having to do it one at a time.
For example, to continue with the above theme, let us assume that when memorising entries into 'LJ Tips', I put the year after as part of the description. Once I had bulk 'moved' the relevant entries from 'LJ Tips' to 'LJ Tips 2007' I could then go into 'LJ Tips 2007' and select the entries and edit the descriptions to remove 2007. Then confirm changes and voila, all the entries would have their descriptions edited without having to do each one in turn.
I would think that (1) and (2) would possibly be of more use/used more than (3).
- - It would save time when people want to rearrange their memories.
- - It would keep people who like to have their memories thoroughly organised happy.
- - It would make working with/reorganising memories easier and less laborious.
- - There would need to be some additional coding. I'm not a programmer, so I don't know exactly how much work this would take. However, I would have thought that as, to an extent, the whole 'bulk' thing exists for bulk deleting this would be a natural progression.
- - People might accidentally re-name memories they didn't want to or 'move' entries they didn't wish to 'move'. However, it would be easy and quick to move them back again. And this can happen anyway when you are only editing one memory. Maybe it would be possible to have 'Are you sure you wish to give all these entries a new keyword' or something.