make lj user linking to OpenID users easier
Short, concise description of the idea
Make it easier to create an LJ user tag link to an OpenID account, by doing a find-and-replace on the URL.
Full description of the idea
Currently, it's very difficult to create an lj user link to an OpenID user. For example, to link to bradfitz's OpenID account ext_1, I had to:
* Go to the profile page for that account
* Click on "more details"
* Look in the Virtual Gifts line to find the "ext number" for that account (is this getting silly yet?)
* create an LJ user link using
My suggestion is to have LJ's HTML cleaner look for any user tag with a period in the username (such as
<lj user="bradfitz.com">), assume the username given is an OpenID, search the registered OpenID users to see if one of them has that URL, and if it does, convert the specified username into its appropriate ext_1234567 username. (If no such OpenID user exists, then it should error out in whatever way it currently errors out for usernames with periods in them.)
- OpenID, while still not fully integrated neatly into LJ, would be a bit easier to use, possibly encouraging more people to use it
- Coding time, as usual
- HTML cleaner might not be able to handle this sort of thing
- Weird behavior might ensue when linking to a user who later changes his OpenID URL (if such a thing is possible), or when linking to an OpenID user who hasn't registered on LJ yet but later does