Friends List: Option to Disable 'Remove' Alerts
Short, concise description of the idea
Create an option to Disable sending the "Username-A has removed you from their Friends List" alerts.
Full description of the idea
It would be nice to opt out of sending the 'Username-A has removed you from their friends list' alerts. The "Added" ones are fine, but I could do without the "Removed" ones.
I've become so worried about offending someone by removing them from my Friends List that I just... haven't. We are only human, after all. This seems like a trivial matter, but someone is bound to take a "You've Been Removed" message the wrong way eventually, and that's not what I'm aiming for. It's nothing personal.
There are several people whom I've added as a Friend simply because I found their posts interesting at some point in time -- not because I know them personally (or met them online). So when I'm going through my Friends List and condensing it by "de-Friending" the people whose posts I've stopped reading (or "de-Friending" the people who've stopped updating regularly) it'd be wonderful if I could do so anonymously. Without sending an announcement. :)
This option could (and should) be available every time a user decides to remove someone from their Friends List. Even a simple box we could un-Check entitled, "Alert this user?" would suffice.
- Avoid offending other users, which would help strengthen a sense of community here at LiveJournal.
- Easily and anonymously condense your Friends List while avoiding possible e-Drama and awkwardness between users.
- Increased sense of privacy. (i.e. No one else needs to be alerted when I decide I no longer wish to read something.)
- Increases a user's sense of control over the site and their journals when presented with more options.
- If someone Adds, Removes Anonymously, then re-Adds a user, the re-Added person may believe they've encountered a bug and report it to the Help Desk.