Tagging Friends in LiveJournal Entries
Short, concise description of the idea
There should be a way to alert someone if their LiveJournal username has been linked in another person's LiveJournal entry.
Full description of the idea
I think that if tagging friends or other LJ users was available, and there was a way to set up e-mail alerts so that an LJ user can choose to receive tagging notices, it would make it easier for people to know when other people are talking about them. For instance, some people use LJ to display their creative works, and ask that others who use their work give them credit. If there was a tagging system in place, then they would be able to look at pages where their usernames are linked and see if they are getting the credit they ask for. Also, some people (myself included) make posts as a way to tell others something, and it would make it easier to get that person alerted to the post without having to send them a private message or talk to them through other means. The best way to go about it would be to add to the customization area down at the bottom of the entry posting area, a text box similar to the regular tags entry where people could type in the usernames that should be alerted to the post. That way if someone does not want a person to see the post, that person does not have to be tagged.
- sends alerts without needing to have a person be alerted to the journal in general
- allows users to see where they are being linked
- manual entry of tags allows users to pick and choose who is alerted
- manual entry also allows users to tag those who are not necessarily linked, but mentioned in an entry
- allows for more selectivity in who is alerted to the entry
- takes less time than sending private messages to other users to alert them to an entry
- a mistype could send an alert to the wrong person
- does not block or enable users from seeing the entry, so it is not an additional filter