Exclude memorial accounts from LJ Talk
Short, concise description of the idea
Accounts which have the "memorial" flag set should be excluded from LJ Talk. The "memorial" flag is only set if the owner of the account has died so having these accounts listed in the LJ Talk rosters serves no purpose and can be upsetting.
Full description of the idea
Accounts can be set with the "memorial" flag when the user dies. As far as I know, this flag has no currently noticeable effect on the account except to disallow new entries, but can be seen by LJ staff.
As described in the suggestion http://community.livejournal.com/suggestions/701246.html the LJ server is responsible for keeping the jabber rosters (LJTalk is a jabber service), which presumably includes who is using LJTalk at all.
- Since any account with the "memorial" flag is owned solely by somebody who has no conceivable use for LJ Talk, and seeing accounts of dead friends in LJTalk can be extremely strange or upsetting, these accounts should be excluded from LJTalk rosters.
- Some people leave comments in memorial accounts to say they're thinking of that person, so I'm sure some people also send LJTalk chat messages to the same effect and removing that possibility may be upsetting to some users.
- It could be argued that these accounts should simply be de-friended but because of the unfortunately emotive "Friend" term de-friending the account of a friend who has died is an upsetting idea for all the users that I know.
- Because of the high emotion involved in any decision about an issue like this, LJ will inevitably get flack for any change in any direction.
- Filtering out memorial accounts will increase server processing load, although probably not much.
- Programming and testing the filter will take some amount of time as per usual.