Community Support - Locking Posts
Short, concise description of the idea
Feature request allowing moderators of communities to lock posts in said community
Full description of the idea
Locking posts is a feature frequently found on other message-board-type communities and allows a moderator to keep comments to a post but freeze the post so that no future comments can be made.
- - Allows moderators to stop flame wars without losing community content.
- - Allows moderators an intermediate action to address a problem post prior to deleting it and/or banning a user from posting.
- - Allows content to be preserved so that a dialogue can be started with the poster if the intent of the post is ambiguous (i.e., it looks like a flame or other such unwanted content, but it may have been a simple mistake on the part of the poster)
- - Gives more tools to moderators for problem resolution.
- - Has potential for abuse by moderators locking posts that they merely find displeasing, rather than those that actually violate community or LJ rules.