Warn when future-dated entry posted.
Short, concise description of the idea
When someone posts an entry with a date in the future and does not select the 'date out of order' option, there should be a warning/suggestion to select DOOO on that entry in order to keep posting current-dated entries normally.
Full description of the idea
If someone posts in the future without selecting the DOOO option, all the current-dated entries they post after that will need DOOO selected. This will prevent them from displaying on friends' pages.
Currently, because the system checks against existing entry timestamps rather than actual time, there is a DOOO error only for the subsequent current-dated entries in this situation. Often the poster just goes ahead and selects DOOO for the current-dated entry in order to make the post go through. Many users continue doing this for some time without realizing that no one is seeing their entries. There should be a warning on the entry that causes the problem.
- We won't have people getting the error afterward, realizing what the problem is, and having to go back an fix the future-dated entry
- We won't have people who get the error afterward and don't fix it (ie, the people who do what the existing error tells them to do) going for weeks or months without realizing their entries are not on people's Friends lists.
An ordered list of problems/issues involved
- The current system of checking the entry date against the dates of entries already posted might not be easily adapted to this. A new system would be needed to check for a future date.
- If there are people who deliberately post all of their entries in the future, they will get tired of the warning.
An organized list, or a few short paragraphs detailing suggestions for implementation
- Would need to decide how far in the future is a future entry. With entries dated in the very near future, this won't be much of an issue, and we would want to minimize interference with differences caused by time zone or deliberate slight misdating. I think somewhere between 48 hours and one week in the future would be ideal.