Short, concise description of the idea
While looking at my journal since I've had one since 2003 over the past years I've always wanted a fully customizable profile to match my journal scheme. Ideally the user info page would be customizable in the same way that the journal itself is.
Full description of the idea
Giving users the option to more fully customize their journals user info page allows users to feel more at home when using the livejournal service. Ideally this would include full color customization with the option of using a background image. Overrides for user info would be applicable in the same way they are for the journal itself. A journal's user info page could have style settings in much the same way that journals do (S1, & S2) S1 for example could show the general layout that user info has now only with color and background image customization.
The S2 version however for example would replace a users name in the friends/friends of/& or mutual friends area of a members user info with userpics instead of account names. Included in this would still be the full color customization with the option of using a background image. Overrides for user info would be applicable in the same way they are for the journal itself as well. The option of an audio player with a url music link optional much like myspace would definitely put an added touch to profiles only reaffirming that livejournal isn't just about blogging, but also keeping on contact with, and making new friends.
- A more pleasing to the eye user info page that matches your journal scheme.
- The new user info scheme would attract more users to utilize the livejournal service because it will more easily be made 'their personal space'.
- More people will pay for something if it is customizable.
- Customizable profiles are fun!
An ordered list of problems/issues involved
- I see no drawbacks to this, only development and improvement. With the S1 S2 user info set up all users will be satisfied!
An organized list, or a few short paragraphs detailing suggestions for implementation
- I would imagine the same type of scripts used in implementing the journal customization could be applied to the user info. The code that livejournal uses to make userpics pop up for specific users in a persons friends page would probably be applicable on the suggested S2 user info page. Livejournals insert media code would be applicable I imagine for the music also.