ESN Subscriptions to Individual Polls
Short, concise description of the idea
(I'm sure that someone else may have already beaten me to this, but hey. XD )
Currently, as far as I can tell, it's only possible to subscribe to all polls you've posted. It does not appear to be possible to subscribe to individual polls rather than just all of the ones you've posted, and I would like to be able to do this.
Full description of the idea
I've posted several polls that I have long ago forgotten about. Normally, this wouldn't be a problem, except some of those polls were meant to be open and continuous (such as the one in my journal for opt-in custom filters). So when I learned that ESN notifications would be implemented for poll votes, I was thrilled.
However, after recently posting what turned out to be a surprisingly popular poll in a community, I realized that there was a downside to this nifty new addition to the ESN feature. ;) My email inbox and Message Center inbox were suddenly getting flooded, and as a result, notifications for other things got "lost in the shuffle." Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be a way to effectively disable the subscription for this particular poll, and I don't want to have to disable notifications for all polls I've posted just to stop receiving the ones for this one poll.
Therefore, I was thinking that it would be nice to be able to subscribe to individual polls that you've posted, rather than all of them at once. This would be similar to how we can subscribe to individual posts and comment threads.
This feature could even be expanded to polls posted by anyone (possibly with conditions, such as "whoview" would have to be set to "all" or maybe "friends").
- More flexibility in event subscriptions for polls.
- Fewer notifications for polls that the user isn't interested in tracking.
- Less chance that notifications for other events will get missed or bumped off the Message Center due to an exceedingly popular poll.
An ordered list of problems/issues involved
- As always, this would involve coding, possibly more complex than what is in place for the current option to subscribe to all polls you've posted.
- Also, possibly extra database load from having multiple event subscriptions to polls, rather than a single one for all polls.
- This would also create additional items under Manage Message Settings, potentially causing the user to exhaust their allotment of event subscriptions.
- If this is expanded to include other users' polls, extra measures will need to be put into place to prevent notifications of votes that won't be seen by the subscriber, again adding to complexity.
- Furthermore, some folks might get a bit leery of the idea that someone else is tracking their polls. Then again, it shouldn't be too much more of an issue than having someone else track your comments or entries. XD
An organized list, or a few short paragraphs detailing suggestions for implementation
- An additional link could be added to each poll asking the user if they want to subscribe to it.
- I'm also thinking that it would involve coding that is similar to what is used for individual entries/comments subscriptions. I don't know how this might be different for polls, since I know next to nothing about the back-end stuff, but the coding might need to be adjusted accordingly to accommodate polls.
- If this is expanded to include other people's polls, then a check to make sure that "whoview" is set to "all." It could even take it one step further by including "friends," if the user happens to be on the poll owner's Friends list or if the poll was posted to a community of which the user is a member.
- An alternative would be to allow someone to opt out of receiving subscriptions for individual polls if they're subscribed to all of them at once, but that might be just as complex (if not more so) than allowing individual subscriptions.