Mark LJ users or comms as "adult"
Short, concise description of the idea
Mark LJ users or comms as "adult".
Full description of the idea
Allow LJ users or comms maintainers to mark the LJ they have control of as "adult" or as "containing adult material".
Underage LJ users (according to the birthday they provided to LJ when registering) would be prevented from friending/joining/watching the adult journals.
The option would be opt-in, and only the people having control of the account could change its status.
- No need for people to explicitly state their age in their userinfo when they want to join an adult community.
- It makes it more difficult for underage users to get access to adult material.
An ordered list of problems/issues involved
- People can lie about their age.
- Underage users can still read public adult journals, even if they don't friend them.
- People who already have adult material in their journals/comms need to be made aware of the new status.
An organized list, or a few short paragraphs detailing suggestions for implementation
- Assigning an adult-/non-adult status to every account.
- Create a form allowing users to select the option (in Edit Info?).
- Create a visually meaningful icon and place it in a prominent place on the userinfo page.