Make posts viewable only to specific communities' members
Short, concise description of the idea
Allow custom friends groups to specify not only which of your friends can view a post, but also which communities' members can view it.
Full description of the idea
This would allow one to make posts to one's own journal that are viewable only to members of particular communities one belongs to, and not to the general public, or even to those of your friends who aren't members of those comms.
For example, you could make your anecdote about erotic fly-fishing viewable to any member of the comms sexy_fishing and hot_fishing_lure_news who drops by your journal - but not to your family and general acquaintances! ;-)
- Would let you make posts to your journal that, say, don't strictly qualify for posting on the communities themselves (are more personal or specific than a comm posting, for example), but might be of interest to their members, without making them viewable just to your actual friends from those comms.
- Would offer an easy way of making post available to comm members (but not others you didn't want viewing your posts) for the many people who prefer to post to their own journal rather directly on the comms themselves, for tagging/archiving purposes.
- Would be particularly useful alternative to making full fanfic posts on multiple comms, as you could now just leave a link in the comm itself, and still control who views the post.
An ordered list of problems/issues involved
- Working out the community membership of each person viewing your posts might possibly be resource-heavy, but could presumably be automatically processed on login and might not be any more onerous than processing a long friends list.
An organized list, or a few short paragraphs detailing suggestions for implementation
- This could presumably be done with an extension to the existing selective-viewing restrictions for posts according to friend status.