include schools in directory search
Short, concise description of the idea
Allow people to include schools (from the schools directory) in a directory search.
Full description of the idea
We have a Directory, that lets you search by interest, location, friend and friend-of, etc. You can, for example, find everyone who is in California, is interested in avocados, and lists theferrett as a friend.
We have a separate Schools Directory, that lets you find people who list a certain school, or a particular range of years at a school.
It should logically follow that you could do a directory search including school information - for example, find everyone who went to MIT and is interested in sailing - but you can't.
So, add the appropriate fields to the directory to search on schools information, and make searches able to pull that information together.
- Removes an artificial barrier from directory searches
An ordered list of problems/issues involved
- Other than coding time & testing time to implement it, I can't think of any disadvantages.
An organized list, or a few short paragraphs detailing suggestions for implementation
- Add these schools directory URL parameters to the set used by directory.bml:
year=[year filter] (perhaps rename this to syear or cyear)
- Allow these parameters to be combined with other directory search parameters, so for example:
... would list people who are between 30-34, have friended cos, and went to a school in Massachusetts in 1992.
- Add school-selection fields to directorysearch.bml
- Add a shortcut link from each schools directory page (where a particular school is already selected) to a directory search form that already has that school selected, to make it easier to filter schools directory results using other directory information. For example, I could click on "Brandeis" on my profile to get a schools directory page with everyone that listed Brandeis, and then easily filter that to only those who have a certain interest (and who went to Brandeis).