OpenID Simple Registration support
Short, concise description of the idea
It would only make sense for livejournals OpenID server to implement/enable the Simple Registration (sreg) extension.
Full description of the idea
OpenID is taking off and more and more sites are implementing it as a viable login method. It only makes sense that the LiveJournal OpenID servers start offering Simple Registration (sreg) with their logins. As an OpenID consumer (a site that accepts OpenID logins), it helps to verify a users identify if they have information such as an email address provided in 1 central place.
- Reduction in spam for OpenID consumers by requiring an email address that's already been verified by their OpenID provider.
- Less work for users. LiveJournal already has this information stored about each user so it doesn't make sense that when logging in with their livejournal OpenID that they would have to enter it again.
- Not so much work for LiveJournal. I'm not an OpenID provider (yet) but I do know my way around web services and can not see any huge issues that would delay implementation of this feature considering that LiveJournal already has all the information stored for each user. Again, I'm not sure what's involved with running an OpenID server, so definitely jump in and correct me if I'm wrong.
An ordered list of problems/issues involved
- The current problem is that users must enter data again when logging in to another site that supports sreg with their livejournal id.
- I can't think of any major issues or problems with implementing OpenID Simple Registration.
An organized list, or a few short paragraphs detailing suggestions for implementation
- As stated above. I'm no expert on OpenID server administration, but I can't see a huge problem with passing the information you already store about users through with an OpenID login request.
For more information on both OpenID and OpenID Simple Registration, the following links explain a lot.