Three-Strikes System for Bad Behavior
Short, concise description of the idea
set up a panel of arbitrators, and a message-forum-style "report offensive post" button to cut down on the excessive rude, cruel behavior that seems to be running so rampant around LJ
Full description of the idea
Get a little community going, preferably around 30 members, give or take. Dedicate it to reasonably fair, balanced mediation of complaints. Do what lj_abuse and the TOS should, but won't.
Set up a form page, with a check-box, wherein an offended user can submit a complaint against a person who has treated them rudely, disrespectfully, or otherwise obnoxiously without provocation (specifically, I'm thinking of certain individuals who behave incredibly snidely toward others in communities and in friend-of-friend situations; but, this could work universally). Log all such complaints into a counter. After any individual's tally hits 3 offensive comments, a report is automatically generated and sent to the panel of neutral arbitrators in the community. Three strikes, and the offender gets a warning, one day's suspension, and the threat of additional sanctions if they don't submit a documented apology to the grieved party, and refrain from such behavior in the future. Three more reports sent to the arbitrators, and they get a full-blown suspension.
To prevent the extremely ultra-sensitive, and the vindictive, from abusing this system, the neutral arbitrators use good, sound judgment, a pre-decided set of reasonable guidelines, and a willingness to throw out any reports that seem most likely to be frivolous.
To prevent people demanding endless appeals from the team, one decision is final.
- real-life abuse survivors, and people with depressive/anxiety disorders, won't be quite as vulnerable when using LJ
- the intellectual quality of discussion on LJ might clean itself up, and begin to approach that of the good old invite-code days
- lj_abuse won't get flooded with so many "minor" reports it can't/won't enforce, freeing them up for the serious stuff
- people would get a lot more benefit, and a lot less stress, out of using the site- it would be a more positive experience in general
An ordered list of problems/issues involved
- predictable "ZOMG FREE SPEECH!" outcry from libertarian types
- people abusing the feature in their petty interpersonal vendettas, or as pranks
An organized list, or a few short paragraphs detailing suggestions for implementation
- advertise for the arbitrators' team
- get the code set up
- circulate a notice on the main LJ page, to alert all users