Reply to comments by e-mail
Short, concise description of the idea
Allow users to reply to comments that they receive as comment notification e-mails by replying to the e-mail itself. These replies could be securely authenticated as coming from the user via the usual mobile posting methods.
Full description of the idea
- Makes interacting on Livejournal more convenient on mobile devices (pretty much all the same reasons as given for mobile posting).
- Allows more interaction on Livejournal from systems where the website has been blocked (offices, schools, libraries).
- Just personal opinion - email is a much more pleasant way of having back and forth comment conversations.
An ordered list of problems/issues involved
- Widens the scope for possible abuse if the mobile posting PIN is stolen - previously, a Bad Person could only make abusive posts, now it would extend to comments.
- Parsing the reply e-mails could be difficult, if quoted material (i.e. all the blurb from the notification e-mail) is included.
An organized list, or a few short paragraphs detailing suggestions for implementation
- As mentioned above, the authentication can be handled by the mobile posting mechanisms of PIN or PGP.
- The issue of "what comment was this actually replying to" can be parsed from the References: header which will link back to the Message-id: of the notification e-mail being replied to. It might also be possible to encode secret authentication information in the Message-id of the comment notification mail, which would get automatically included in the reply with no extra effort, so that the hassle of using PIN or PGP can be avoided.