Release Inactive Account Information to User’s Designees
Short, concise description of the idea
Release the account information to persons designated by the user in the event the account becomes inactive due to unfortunate life circumstances.
Full description of the idea
My entries are mostly private because I am using LJ as a tool to record my life. At the present, no one has access to this account other than me. I have been thinking what would happen to my journal in the event I passed away or seriously ill. In such situations, I would like this account to be released to people I feel should have access to it. As the result, I suggest the following:
LJ would disclose my account to people I designated after the account has been inactive for a predefined period of time.
- For the account user, the journal will not be buried forever. Some one in this world would be able to learn more about your interesting life.
- For LJ, this scheme will help eliminate a lot of inactive accounts. Even in the case the person in question is not diseased, checking with the inactive user what he/she would like to do with the account will help LJ rid of inactive accounts.
An ordered list of problems/issues involved
- It will take more time for LJ managers to manage the LJ accounts.
- LJ users need to update the designee information periodically.
An organized list, or a few short paragraphs detailing suggestions for implementation
- First, users who wish to have their accounts disclosed to designated people need to do the following: At their earliest convenience, submit to LJ managers a list of people (and their contact information) who will gain access to their accounts in the event of their death or serious illnesses. It is the responsibility of the user to update the list periodically to ensure it is current.
- All users, regardless of their wish to have their accounts disclosed, will be notified by LJ once their accounts become inactive after a period of time. It seems to me that 6 months of inactivity is a good guideline but that should be decided if LJ decides to implement this scheme. If the user fails to respond after two months, LJ will take one of the following actions:
- If the account does not have any designees, the inactive account will be terminated.
- If the account has designees, LJ will contact all the designees. If none of the designees can be contacted, LJ will erase the inactive account.