Limited ability to allow person to person messages
Short, concise description of the idea
I'd like the ability to send another user a message through LJ. Something like the text message box, with a character limit, and possibly a frequency limit, so it's not used as a substitute for email.
Full description of the idea
Sometimes it would be useful to be able to send a message to another user who has not chosen to provide an email address.
It would be important that users be able to opt-out of using this system, or limit it. I imagine that people should be able to turn this option on or off, and then choose who can use this option, and then choose how they will receive the messages. I imagine a choice between the email address on file and the /inbox.
- The ability to reach a user when that user wants to limit the information available in their profile.
- Users can opt to turn this option on instead of listing an email address to increase privacy.
- Using messages would be less disruptive than leaving a comment on an unrelated post in their journal.
An ordered list of problems/issues involved
- Possible abuse by spammers. (let users limit users to friends/friend groups)
- Setting up the forwarding/routing of the messages.
An organized list, or a few short paragraphs detailing suggestions for implementation
- Use a system similar to how the text messaging works, the user picks whether they want this messaging on, then who can use it, then where the messages go for delivery.