Friends Group Email Notification of Postings
Short, concise description of the idea
LJ user would be sent an email notification when someone in their specified friends group posted a new entry.
Full description of the idea
Currently, the only way to achieve something like this is to visit the profile of every person in the desired friends and modify their friend status to include an email notification when they update their journal. This is a very combersome process, especially when there are a lot of friends involved in the desired group. Plus maintenance of such updates is also cumbersome because each friend in the groups needs to be maintained individually. This improvement mainly pertains to the ability to set email notifications. It would be very nice if there were an additional email notification setting that allows an email notification when any member of a specified friends group updated their journal. This would make monitoring and maintaining friends groups much easier.
- Fewer links on the LJ servers would be required for users to maintain their notifications preferences. This would save LJ in hardware and maintenance costs because it would cut down on the storage space required to save such links.
- LJ users would be happier with LiveJournal as a webblogging site because it would be easier to setup and maintain notifications of friends' postings.
- LJ would also save money because users would not have to use as much bandwidth to go through all their friends' profiles to update the notification settings.
An ordered list of problems/issues involved
- Maintaining notification preferences for many friends' updates is time consuming and cumbersom, especially if on a slower connection.
An organized list, or a few short paragraphs detailing suggestions for implementation
- Add a link on the "Edit Friends Groups" page to enable email notification for updates in a specified group of friends.
- Add another column with checkboxes in the "Edit Friends" page to enable/disable email notifications on updates for each friend.