Hide Schools, Posting Access, and Member Of
Short, concise description of the idea
An option to hide the 'schools' list from user profiles, and 'Posting Access:' from the full user profiles.
Full description of the idea
I think account management should be expanded for enhanced community and school privacy maintenance on the user's behalf.
The 'school' function is a good feature. It allows members of schools to congregate and interact, and by knowing your school, find other members of the school. Some users may wish to use this feature without displaying their school to all others they interact with on livejournal though, so displaying it on the user profile could be made optional.
Community membership privacy in viewing a member's profile seems to have been the intent of a 'friend of/member of' checkbox. This is voided, however, in that communities a user is a member of is still shown by viewing the full profile and looking under 'posting access'. While this is a good separate feature, it seems like something that should also be optional. It is not something intended to be public, like it is when friending a community so that it appears on the /friend/ page.
Separate buttons could be implemented to distinguish 'show friend of' and 'show member of' in case someone is okay with showing the communities they're a member of, but not people who have friended them, or vice versa. The current one is too absolute.
- Better user privacy
- FAQ would not be misleading
An ordered list of problems/issues involved
- Would place public viewing of schools and communities back in the user's hands. This might upset those who think only people who would publically associate with a location or group to be mandatory. The 'show friend of' option which includes 'show member of' by default seems to imply this was the original intention though.
An organized list, or a few short paragraphs detailing suggestions for implementation
- On both the school page and the user profile page, a checkbox for 'show schools' could be put in an obvious location.
- Under the 'show friend of' button (and 'show member of' if made separate as suggested above) a 'show posting access' button could be put there, unchecked, it would no longer show posting access on full profile view.
- Separating the 'show friend of' and 'show member of' buttons might require some alteration in how the profile tabulates these values. It should be doable, however, since it does already display them in separate lists on the profile already.