Expand time frame for Birthday listings
Short, concise description of the idea
Expand time frame for listing birthdays to 24-48 hours in the past.
Full description of the idea
I, like many people here in LJ land, have many friends in different time zones -- sometimes other-side-of-the-planet time zones. It's difficult to keep track of so many birthdays, so I often rely upon LJ's birthday list to remind me of these dates.
However, I sometimes fail to glance at my portal page, and find that I miss key birthdays. Or they will have occurred in a different today than the one I live in (thanks, time zones!).
Sometimes my subconscious prods me, other times a stray comment on a journal will give me pause to think "did so-and-so just have a birthday?" Yet, there's no good way to find out, save asking outright, because the notice will have expired from the birthday listing.
- Helps us all be better friends and LJers
- Helps LJ sell more virtual gifts (due to guilt for having missed the birthday!)
An ordered list of problems/issues involved
- One or more lines of code will possibly have to be changed in order to change the time birthdays expire from listing.
- One LJ programmer will have to divert attention for an afternoon from other pressing LJ matters.
- I really can't think of any problems this could cause.
An organized list, or a few short paragraphs detailing suggestions for implementation
- I think this wouldn't need a huge "check it out" announcement. The benefit should be self-evident, and not people thinking "Ooooh LJ goofed, that was yesterday." We are an international community, so "yesterday" is a relative term.