Foul language in spelling checker suggestions
Short, concise description of the idea
Remove foul language from the suggestions list made by the spelling checker.
Full description of the idea
For an example, post an entry with the misspelled word "can'st" and see what you get! I got many variations on a common four-letter slang term for female genitalia.
This is not a free speech issue. If someone wants to make a post saying "sh*tty f*cking c*nt", they can. But, there's no reason we have to present obscenities as suggestions for misspelled non-obscene words. The only way to eliminate the type-II error risk is to remove the foul words, which is no great loss in any case. And, there may be liability issues for doing so.
- 1: LJ not in trouble with parents, COPPA, and all of that other legal goodness.
- 2: LJ users are not presented with obscene spelling corrections.
An ordered list of problems/issues involved
- 1: People who can't remember how to spell their favorite four-letter words will appear even less suave and debonair.
- 2: LJ spelling checker crew loses bragging rights about largest dictionary.
- 3: Someone has to descend to the lowest depths of the cesspool of humanity to think of all the commonly accepted nasty words
- 4: People who think that phrases like "yuo fcuking cVnt" are not obscene will complain about the first amendment.
An organized list, or a few short paragraphs detailing suggestions for implementation
- 1: grep the spelling checker suggestions file for all of the nasty, foul words you can think of.
- 2: remove them.