Privacy options on comments
Short, concise description of the idea
Privacy features on who can view comments on an entry.
Full description of the idea
Privacy on comments would work like post privacy options (ie. show comments to: (everyone) public, friends, just me (private), custom...). Comment privacy would allow users a greater level of security or allow a thread on a reply to a post to become private between one or more users based on user preference. For example, if a user wanted to have an open journal where all users had open access to posts but wanted to reply to comments candidly and invoke privacy to allow only certain users to see those replies. With the current comment screening capability, a user unscreens when replying allowing all users who have access to the entry to see the comments. Comment privacy options would allow a user to unscreen but not reveal the unscreened comment to all users. The comment privacy functionality would be set at the time of posting a journal entry or when unscreening comments. Privacy options would be available for each comment allowing users to restrict viewing of the comment to one of the following: the person commenting and themselves, a friends group, or everyone. Keeping a comment screened would be equivalent to keeping the comment private only for the user to view.
- Greater security and privacy for Livejournal users
- Options for who can see comments when unscreened
- Options for who can see comments when first posting an entry or unscreening (side by side with entry privacy options and inline with comment options for screening, freezing, and deleting comments on the comment page for the entry)
An ordered list of problems/issues involved
- Unknown variables and time investment for adapting privacy mechanisms currently in place for journal entries to comments
An organized list, or a few short paragraphs detailing suggestions for implementation
- Unsure of how this would be implemented, but one would imagine if approved the suggested comment privacy options would be coded and added into entry posting and comments pages by Livejournal staff or volunteers. While it would be great to be able to have enhanced privacy options for comments right away, that would only be possible if the coding and changes necessary to Livejournal were minimal to moderate. Otherwise it might work to try developing the idea further and implementing it with a major update to the site.