New feature: "on this day"
Short, concise description of the idea
A page like Wikipedia's "On this day" section on their front page, where entries from this day but years past are displayed.
Full description of the idea
Imagine http://username.livejournal.org/onthisday on January 10th, 2007. It would display any entries made on January 10th, 2006; January 10th, 2005; and so forth throughout the history of that particular journal.
- A quick glance at what one was posting about in past years (where "one" can be a user or a community).
An ordered list of problems/issues involved
- Increased database hit in the form of a possible new index and maybe referencing data that isn't cached -- most of LJ's features seem to focus on recent data or data grouped in contiguous time chunks, not stripes like this.
An organized list, or a few short paragraphs detailing suggestions for implementation
- If I were to do this as a third-party tool, I would visit the user profile (http://username.livejournal.com/profile) to determine how many years back the journal goes, then I would visit each individual date (http://username.livejournal.com/2007/01/10/, http://username.livejournal.com/2006/01/10/, ...), then combine all the entries into one page.
- Doing this sort of thing server-side would be cleaner, and would allow for the display of protected entries without violating basic security procedures.
- It might also be fun to do this for friends lists, but the primary suggestion is for an individual journal or community.