Comment editing & notification
Short, concise description of the idea
Allow comments to be edited but ensure the displayed comment ensures it is clear and edit has been made.
Full description of the idea
Comments could be allowed to be edited, but they'd need to insert the same sort of thing you see on many forums (comment edited at X time by Y person), and it could give a link or a pop up that showed the original text?
You could also disallow it for comments that had been replied to, and allow OPs to disallow comment editing completely when they write a new post (possibly with a warning similar to the IP logging display), so that those fearing trolling could just prevent it in the first place.
We all make typos, and while it doesn't bother me that much, sometimes it really does matter; miss-typed lj usernames giving that ugly [bad username in tag] thing are the worst, as you can't even guess at the intended then.
- Users can quickly correct mistakes
- Prevents the need to delete and repost
- Negates the oft quoted fear of trolls abusing the editing feature
- Keeps original text available for reference by all
An ordered list of problems/issues involved
- Extra database storage requirement
- Potential confusion if a major edit has comments after it, timestamps should deal with this
- Users will come up with something else to always ask for on news posts?
An organized list, or a few short paragraphs detailing suggestions for implementation
- Comments should have an edit option next to the delete option viewable by the person who made it
- All edits should be stored and linked to - it may be needed to limit total # edits allowed
- Anyone who received comment notification for the original should receive an edit notification
- When creating a new post, an option would be there with the other comment options to disable comment editing, this should also be there as a journal default option (for those very worried about abuse)