Disclaimer/Rules Before Posting to Communities
Short, concise description of the idea
Gives the community moderators the choice of have the rules of the community show before a person can update their post to a community. The poster must at least scroll through the rules before they can finally send their post.
Full description of the idea
I'm an active member of a very busy community. Every single day there are at least 50 posts in the community. Half of them are questions that have been answered already. Some of those are answered every day. I don't leave the community because the other half is full of useful information.
If there were some sort of way of making somebody read the rules of the community and have a link to the memories right in front of them before asking a question it could probably prevent many problems.
Even if the user broke a rule they would be even more responsible for their actions because the rules were right on their screen before they posted. That prevents the moderators from being the "bad guys" and the community much more fun to take part in.
Many members of the communities get frustrated with all the repeat questions and stop watching the community. Missing out on information that may still be interesting to them.
- Less repeat questions bogging down communities and friends list.
- Moderators don't have to close the membership to their communities.
- Moderators don't have to worry so much about backlash from less knowledgeable members that feel they are being singled out.
- Moderators will be able to enforce their rules (that are still in compliance with the LJ conduct) easier.
- Community members will not have to be subjected to their friends lists being bogged down by people that don't already know the community guidelines.
- The new members that have questions that need to be answered quickly will have the process streamlined for them.
- This sort of thing is already used all over the internet.
An ordered list of problems/issues involved
- Many people will still skip over the rules.
An organized list, or a few short paragraphs detailing suggestions for implementation
- Have a simple text written by the moderator link to FAQ and rules of the community.