Add More Tags Editing Permissions
Short, concise description of the idea
Currently, there are only two settings for tags editing permissions: (1)tag entries with existing tags, and (2)create new tags as well as add/remove tags for entries.
I propose to split up (2), and have a separate option for removing tags from entries.
Full description of the idea
The tags permissions aren't fine-grained enough. Especially in communities, there are times when you want people to be able to remove tags from their entry without having the privileges to edit the actual list of tags.
For instance, if you accidentally mistag your entry, you have to email a moderator or someone with the proper privileges to remove that tag for you.
Also, I'm not sure how often this case comes up, but there are times when an entry is only temporarily tagged. In certain help communities, an entry might be tagged as "lost" or "unsolved". Once the issue has been resolved, the entry poster might want to mark the entry as such, but can't remove the existing tag.
Granted, the above problem is solvable with a sufficiently active moderator team regularly trawling the tagged posts for resolved issues, but it would be much easier if the original poster could edit the tags himself
I think that choosing who can remove tags from entries should be its own option, or else should be lumped in with the "add tags to entries" permission.
If given its own option, it would also be really nice if the removal of tags from an entry could be restricted to community maintainers and the entry poster only.
- communities can more easily use temporary tags
- entry posters have better control over their own entries
An ordered list of problems/issues involved
- once the last instance of a tag is removed, the tag becomes unavailable to those who only have the "add privilege". It gets a bit hairy here because it seems logical to me to show even a tag that is unused, but I don't know about those tags that are "friends-only" -- should they be exposed even if they have zero public uses? I would say that unused tags should show up on the list; "friends-only"/"private" tags should be kept locked at their security level. I am sure there are other opinions out there
- possibility of trolls arbitrarily removing tags
An organized list, or a few short paragraphs detailing suggestions for implementation
- add another option to database, the admin console, and the tags management page
- the problem with trolls/random community members arbitrarily untagging entries could be fixed by having a special option "maintainers and entry posters only", but that would be icing on the cake