Add "away" option and/or mass-delete options to Message Center
Short, concise description of the idea
Add a feature that will allow the message center to be temporarily turned off for either email and/or the web-version for a period of time or install an away/back button.
Full description of the idea
During the month of November for NaNoWriMo I stopped logging into LJ for fear of never getting around to writing. During the course of the month my message center wracked up over 200 messages. I also received these messages by email. In email, I was able to sort by user and/or message and quickly identify what to read and what to delete. Via the web, I still have not deleted the mass of backlogged messages because the delete only a few at a time system is time-intensive and occassionally, the delete button doesn't work at all.
- Both away -- Preserves all preferred settings for users while travelling or too busy to keep up with LJ
- Just email away -- Would help prevent overabundance of email when off-line for a period of time
- Just web-away -- Would prevent a backlog of saved webspace and time deleting upon return
- Mass-delete option -- Would be a catch-all quick fix if an away button was not installed
- View All -- would also enable a mass-delete via the "check-box" feature.
An ordered list of problems/issues involved
- Both away -- Nothing will be saved and users will have to manually check updated journals etc. In addition, users may forget to turn the feature back on upon return!
- Just email away -- users may forget to turn the feature back on upon return.
- Just web-away -- users may forget to turn the feature back on upon return.
- Mass-delete option -- the usual issues with accidental deletion of messages.
- View All -- memory snag perhaps?
An organized list, or a few short paragraphs detailing suggestions for implementation
- I am completely not a technical person and have no idea how to answer this.