Update: Solution documented
Support for quick feed subscription from firefox 2
Short, concise description of the idea
Firefox 2 has a nifty feature that allows people to subscribe to feeds in their favourite reader. The current /syn/index.bml implementation prevents this from being available.
Full description of the idea
The feed subscription mechanism in Firefox 2 can be customised to allow subscribing to a feed from an icon in the address bar. The customisation takes an about:config entry similar to the following:
Currently, the syn code only accepts POST form parameters, preventing the use of a GET url resembling for subscription:
So, the suggestion is to change the aforementioned code to accept GET as well as POST, thus enabling customisation of firefox to subscribe to feeds on livejournal. Whew!
- Useful way to subscribe to feeds
- No need to visit /syn first and paste in a url
- Promotes use of syndication on lj, and improves integration with firefox (if not other applications also)
An ordered list of problems/issues involved
- None that I can think of
An organized list, or a few short paragraphs detailing suggestions for implementation
- Change this code ... htdocs/syn/index.bml ... to accept GET parameters as well as POST
- Get someone (me?) to post to lj_nifty about how to customise firefox once the above is done, or work with the mozilla people to have it available by default in new installs.