Add link to and FAQ about www.livejournal.com/settings, make it redundant
Short, concise description of the idea
There are some settings that can only be changed from www.livejournal.com/settings. That page should be linked from www.livejournal.com/manage and described in the FAQs. Also, every setting there should appear on another account management page.
Full description of the idea
The www.livejournal.com/settings page is very useful for people who think in tagging terms. It should be linked from the "Settings" section of www.livejournal.com/manage and there should be a FAQ page detailing what can be changed there and how to use it.
In addition, for those who don't think in tagging terms, any setting that can be changed there should also appear on one of the other account management pages. For example, the setting to add ?nc=xx to comment URLs is now only available through /settings, when it should be available in /manage/comments as well. The FAQ entry about /settings should note where else each setting can be found.
- User convenience, a.k.a. "no one will have to spend half an hour looking for the ?nc=xx setting and finally have to submit a support request like I did last night".
- Additional user control over journal use and appearance.
- User education.
An ordered list of problems/issues involved
An organized list, or a few short paragraphs detailing suggestions for implementation
- The link would be very quick and easy to add.
- The FAQ page would take a bit of time to write but is otherwise uncomplicated.
- Someone would have to go through all the setting options and make sure each one appears elsewhere, which will take some time.