List "View Community" as Option under Communities Menu
Short, concise description of the idea
Instead of having to go to one's profile page, scroll to the listing of communities, and click on the community one wishes to view, it would be so much easier to be able to choose it from a pull-down field, much like the "work as user" feature in several of the pages to which we're taken.
Full description of the idea
It would be wonderful if the option "View Community" were to be added to the Communities Menu at the top of our personal journals. This option would then take us to a page that would have a pull-down field (like the one used for the "work as user" option found on several pages) containing all communities which we are currently are monitoring. This way, we can jump immediately to that community rather than have to visit our profile, scroll to the listing of monitored communities, and click on the link of the community we wish to visit for each community. How much time and effort it would save to be able to do this from the pull-down menu! As we are already able to do this for community posts, I assume it wouldn't be much of a stretch to do it for community viewing, as well.
- Assists LiveJournal users, with busy friends' pages, in keeping apprised of updates to their monitored communities without missing anything because of the abundant posts by the more active communities or friends.
- Three-click-maximum access from anywhere in LiveJournal to any community in which a user is either a member or a monitoring user.
- A user need no longer search through a horizontal, some bold, some plain text list (extremely hard on the eyes) to locate the desired community link; he or she need only locate the community in a handily alphabetized, neat, plain-text, vertical listing.
An ordered list of problems/issues involved
- Alphabetizing can be confusing with some communities who start their names with characters other than letters (i.e., _fandom_icons_).
- Some LiveJournal user who is never happy unless he or she has something about which to complain will ask you to change this feature.
- Seriously, I cannot think of any drawbacks for the feature. I love the "Post to Community" feature (thank you!) and would love to have this similar concept added, as well.
An organized list, or a few short paragraphs detailing suggestions for implementation
- Under the "Communities" menu at the top of the personal journal page, have one of the options be "Visit Community" or "View Community," whichever you feel is more appropriate (or another phrase you feel is even more appropriate).
- When the LiveJournal user clicks on this option, he or she is taken to a page with a pull-down field, much like the one used in the "work as user" option seen on many pages. This pull-down field will have all communities in which the user is a member and/or a monitoring user.
- The user can select any of the listed communities in this pull-down field and be taken immediately to the community selected.
- Thank you for your consideration of this idea!