Add "Reply" Link To Comments in Messages Center
Short, concise description of the idea
When comments appear in the Messages Center (Notifications) as a result of tracking, include a link to allow one to reply to the comment in one click.
Full description of the idea
I think the above is fairly clear, but to be sure...
Right now, when one tracks comments to a particular post, the comments' content appears in the Message Center (which is great!). Each notification for a comment also includes a link to the thread, a link to the post, and links to the two users involved (also handy). Each also includes tools to delete, freeze or (un)screen the comment right from there (awesome).
What would save folks a click or two would be one more link: one that lets a user reply to the comment right from there, just as if you clicked on "Reply To This" from the comment on the post itself.
- Provides one-click access to the full post, with the comment of interest in context, and with the composition box for a reply all ready-to-rock.
- Saves users the time of clicking on and loading the whole entry, then finding the comment within it, and then clicking reply... especially for recent entries (which are usually the only ones with activity anyway) for which they will remember the context of the comment, anyway.
An ordered list of problems/issues involved
- Drawbacks? Um... It'll take someone a whole few minutes to code up? :)
- Um... uh... It might make LJ so much cooler that your servers wont be able to handle the immense popularity explosion? :) :)
- Seriously, perhaps the only drawback I can think of off hand is that folks may jump into replying without being forced to scroll through the whole post to find the comment and therefore see any other related context that may have developed. Frankly (meaning I think Frank would agree with me), that's a user style and awareness thing, and I, for one, am not big into trying to sway that kind of thing via technology limitations. *shrug* FWIW...
An organized list, or a few short paragraphs detailing suggestions for implementation
- I'm assuming that this would be as easy as going into your template code for comment notifications and adding a link of the form <a href="http://[user_id].livejournal.com/[post_id].html?replyto=[comment_id]">Reply To This</a> in the aesthetically pleasing corner of your choice.