Allow registered LJ users to reply to their own screened comments
Short, concise description of the idea
When a LJ user comments in a journal (personal or community) and the journal is set so the comment will be screened, only the entry poster can reply to the comment before it is unscreened. This would allow the comment poster (if a registered user) to reply to their own comment, eg to elaborate, or to correct a typo. (obviously, replying to your own comment shouldn't unscreen it.)
Full description of the idea
(Note: this is already possible by posting a second comment under the same parent, but in some cases, the comments could be separated by a large number of intervening comments. This would make sure they remain closely connected.)
- Spare commenters embarrassment from having typos, poor wording, or brain farts sit uncorrected and visible for all with no obviously connected correction.
- Give entry poster more relevant information when deciding whether to unscreen comment.
- (Optionally) Allow owner to unscreen both comment and correction in one operation, as a timesaver.
An ordered list of problems/issues involved
- Owner would need to pay attention to collapsed threads below screened comments, if a lot of people leave screened comments.
- LiveJournal staff would have to deal with rants when the change is announced.
An organized list, or a few short paragraphs detailing suggestions for implementation
- Add a "comment poster" special case to the "entry poster" special case that already exists, when deciding who can reply to a screened comment.
- Make sure that only a reply by the entry poster unscreens the comment.