Add message counter to navigation bar and/or journal styles
Short, concise description of the idea
Add a clickable link (text or image) to the navigation bar or your journal style that displays the number of messages you have, and will take you to your message center when clicked on - similar to the Messages link in the Horizon sitescheme.
Full description of the idea
When using the Horizon site scheme, Permanent and Paid users (for now; Plus and Basic soon) have an image link that says "Messages", which links to their Message Center, and also displays the number of messages they have waiting. (More information on ESN messages/subscriptions here.)
I'd like to add that functionality to either the navigation strip or to layouts, so I can have that information available without having to leave my friends page to check.
- Ability to see when you have a new message without needing to navigate to a sitescheme page (eg, not your friends list or main journal page).
- Make the navstrip more useful by including one of the key components of the Horizon sitescheme :)
An ordered list of problems/issues involved
- Some people already think the navstrip is too cluttered, or is inherently clutter.
- Figuring out where and how to add the Messages link to system styles seems like it would be exponentially more complicated than adding it to the navstrip, but it would provide more flexibility of design.
An organized list, or a few short paragraphs detailing suggestions for implementation
- Either adjust the navstrip design to include a small "Messages" link, and/or code a module to add the messages link to the various system layouts.