New Mascot Contest
Short, concise description of the idea
A mascot contest where users submit characters to be used with or replace Frank.
Full description of the idea
The contest would last a month. At the end, livejournal staff would pick the ten best characters, then list them (along with Frank) on the homepage to have a vote. To prevent voter fraud, only paid accounts can participate in voting. The character that recieves the most votes doesn't have to completely replace Frank. I call this idea "Frank and friends", we have multiple mascots that alternate and/or share days on the homepage. I have already drawn out two character concepts.
The first is "Heather the Pygmy Marmoset." For those of you who don't know, pygmy marmosets are one of the smallest primate species in the world. They're very adorable and are perfect for mascots. Heather is very hyper.
The second is "John the Stag Beetle". His personality is more cautious, and I'm sure you can see the humor potential here, i.e. mixing a hyper monkey with a cautious beetle.
Any winners of this contest would get permanent paid accounts.
- -Generates interest and enthusiasm for livejournal
- -Makes people see that livejournal is keeping its values of user particpation, despite being bought out by Six Apart
- -Provides a fun contest
- -Makes the homepage more interesting
- -If Frank is completely replaced and merchandise stops being made of him, any merchandise with him on it will be worth a lot on ebay
- -More merchandise potential for more characters
An ordered list of problems/issues involved
- A few people might want to keep Frank as the only mascot, but that's why we have the voting system.
An organized list, or a few short paragraphs detailing suggestions for implementation
- 1. Change homepage and log in screens to inform everyone of contest and rules.
- 2. Provide way to submit characters.
- 3. The livejournal staff select the ten they think are best.
- 4. List characters and provide voting poll on homepage
- 5. Tall votes and announce winner(s)
- 6. Flesh out winning characters (slight animation, etc) and put on homepage alternating and/or sharing days.