scramble all email addresses in pages served by LJ
Short, concise description of the idea
whenever a page is served by LJ (e.g. when an entry or a comment is displayed), find all email addresses in it and scramble them so spam bots can't read them.
Full description of the idea
Right now nothing protects email addresses mentioned in LJ blogs from being harvested by spammers. Email addresses on the info pages are protected but very weakly. Any of a number of methods can be used to cheaply scramble email addresses, e.g.
- * users wouldn't have to worry about manually scrambling their addresses -- the LJ server would take care of that
* when someone quotes an email i sent them they may accidentally expose my address to all the spammers -- this protects me from others' blunders.
An ordered list of problems/issues involved
- * adds some processing cost to the serving of pages
* requires effort to implement and integrate into LJ code
An organized list, or a few short paragraphs detailing suggestions for implementation
- Put an email-address scrambler at the very end of processing -- just before any page is served to the user, one more pass is made over it to scramble any email addresses into a form not easily recognizable by spambots.