The New "Video" Feature Does Not Respect Image Placeholders (I Sure Wish It Did)
Short, concise description of the idea
LiveJournal recently implemented a new feature which allows you to embed videos from certain source sites in your journal. These videos show up on our friends pages in an inline, click-to-play flash player. I really wish that this would be replaced by a placeholder, for users that have image placeholders enabled on their friends page.
Full description of the idea
For users that have image placeholders enabled (small images that take the place of generally larger images on our friends pages), the flash player would be automatically replaced with a placeholder (either the same placeholder, or better, a distinct one) so that the player doesn't show up on our friends pages.
Alternately, a separate option to hide the flash player could be made available. This would allow people to hide only images, only videos, or both images and videos. Yay flexibility!
- Users that opt not to have images on their friends-page will not have to see the largeish first frame of the video on their friends page. While this is not technically an image, but rather a flash object, it's effectively an image becuase it looks like one.
- Decreased loading time for users on a slower connection that may experience degraded site performance because of videos being posted on their friends page.
- I won't have to be very sad at the people that post videos without an LJ-cut.
- The peasants will rejoice at the niftiness of this implementation.
- Once again, LJ will be infinitely cooler than Myspace, and the universe will return to it's natural balance.
An ordered list of problems/issues involved
- Some users may like forcing largeish flash objects onto the friends pages of their friends, and thus, will not like this suggestion.
- If current settings are used (i.e., all users with image placeholders enabled also have videos hidden), some users might find this behavior unexpected and undesired (however, I find it unintuative that the videos don't already fall under the image placeholder rules).
- This would be inconsistant with the treatment of the inline voicepost player. However, the voice post player is much smaller, doesn't take as long to load, and is generally less obtrusive, so I think the inconsistancy is warrented.
- I might send the LJ dev team cookies, resulting in unwanted extra pounds during swimsuit season.
An organized list, or a few short paragraphs detailing suggestions for implementation
- Have the lovely Veroz create a placeholder icon for videos.
- Create a separate setting that allows people to placehold videos (or use existing settings).
- Use devvy magic to have hide videos from those with the proper setting enabled.