Add search box to navigation bar
Short, concise description of the idea
The search box and category drop down lists should be included on the navigation bar, to allow searching directly from the bar.
Full description of the idea
If the navigation bar is designed to simplify getting around LiveJournal, then it would make sense to add the search function directly to the bar, thus making it available to users on nearly any page. It appears that the thus far unused right side of the bar has the space to insert this code.
- Adds functionality to the search bar
- Removes the need to visit comment or user info pages to perform a search
- Draws on the existing search code
An ordered list of problems/issues involved
- If using the navigation bar degrades performance for some users, adding additional coding may further impede page loads
- Would be redundant for users who already have a search box in their styles
- Might require a slightly taller search bar (although I doubt it)
An organized list, or a few short paragraphs detailing suggestions for implementation
- Copy the current code for the search box that is available on comment or user info pages
- Place that code inside the navigation bar