Add user-chosen links to the navigation bar
Short, concise description of the idea
Make the new navigation bar more customisable and useful by allowing users to link to pages they visit regularly
Full description of the idea
Add a customisable fourth 'segment' to the navigation bar. This segment would have links chosen by the user. These could be limited to only lj user links to often-visited communities and journals, or you could also allow standard hyperlinks to other parts of Livejournal.
- At the moment, the navigation bar is a little one-size-fits all, and given the drastically different ways LJ can be used, it's not surprising this doesn't work for many of us. I don't find any of the links on it currently useful - the two I do use regularly are bookmarked, which makes the amount of screen real estate the bar takes up unjustifiable.
- Allowing the user to add whatever links they find themselves using regularly would make the bar a useful feature to more of us, and an even more useful one to those who already like it.
An ordered list of problems/issues involved
- Could break the navigation bar or not be visible at very low screen resolutions, ie 800x600.
- A very long list of links could force the bar to expand downwards. A character limit could be imposed.
An organized list, or a few short paragraphs detailing suggestions for implementation
- This would probably be a fixed width, like all the other segments, so you know how much space you have to play with.
- On the 'manage settings' page currently linked to as 'config/remove', there could just be a box where you enter LJ usernames separated by commas.
- General hyperlinks would be slightly less convenient, but still not too terrible. Could either be a box into which we write the full code, or a set of fields ('full URL' 'link text').