PGP/GPG upload interface needs a file upload instead of only a textbox, to help with large keys.
Short, concise description of the idea
The management page for PGP keys only has a large textbox, making usage of large keys a pain. I would like a file upload box added.
Full description of the idea
First, see the PGP management page here: http://www.livejournal.com/manage/pubkey.bml
For users with large PGP/GPG keys, repeatedly copying and pasting gets to be a problem. My key, in the ascii-armoured format expected, is 50kb in size.
My Linux pastebuffer is less than 50kb in size, forcing me to make multiple passes for including me key.
I would like a file upload box to be added, so users could simply export their GPG ascii-armoured key to a file, and upload that file.
gpg --ascii --export 0x(KEYID) >gpg.ascii.keyAn ordered list of benefits
- Ease of use for PGP keys is improved.
- Remove danger of mispasting a key and having it invalid, and thus not usable for email postings.
An ordered list of problems/issues involved
- Users might upload a non-ascii armoured version.
- Users might upload their entire public keyring accidently.
An organized list, or a few short paragraphs detailing suggestions for implementation
- Include the commandline for dumping the ASCII-armoured key to a file in the display for a user.
- Warn them about not uploading the non-ascii version or their entire public keyring.